Nightmares Come at Night aka Les cauchemars naissent la nuit
Directed by Jess Franco, 1970
For years considered a lost Franco film (after having played at a single theatre in Belgium), Nightmares Come at Night was rediscovered in 2004 and has recognised as a key film in the evolution of Franco’s cinema, which in 1970 was assuming a dreamlike logic, governed more by the director’s libido than the traditional horror movie structure.
Diana Lorys (The Awful Dr Orlof) stars as a sultry dancer who falls under the hypnotic control of the sinister blonde Cynthia (Colette Giacobine) and begins ti suffer terrifying hallucinations, from which not even a gifted psychiatrist (Paul Muller) can save her, Meanwhile, a pair of jewel thieves (Soledad Miranda and jack Taylor) hide out at a nearby house, biding their time until they can confront Cynthia for their share of a recent heist.
- Audio commentary by Tim Lucas
- ‘Eugénie’s Nightmare of a Sex Charade’ – 20 minute documentary by Daniel Gouyette on the making of the film. Includes footage of Jess Franco
- ‘Jess! What are you doing Now?’ – 8-minute documentary Nightmares Come at Night
- Language: French Soundtrack with optional English subtitles plus English dubbed version
- Cast: Diana Lorys, Paul Muller, Soledad Miranda, Jack Taylor, Colette Giacobi